......Home......Latest News......About The Vale......What's On......Local Attractions......Contact Us......Business Index

Brains S.A. won't re-open Barry pubs for beer garden use only as covid-19 lockdown eases

A BREWER has announced it will not re-open its Barry pubs until the Welsh Government announces the premises can open fully - indoors and outdoors.

Hospitality businesses in Wales are able to reopen on July 13, under new Welsh Government plans revealed last week

S.A Brain & Co Ltd was, like many pubs, forced to close when the UK went into coronavirus lockdown on March 23 this year.

Venues can open in spaces they own and have licences for if cases continue to decline, but indoor-only places will have to stay shut, and visitors will be have to book.

Welsh Government minister, Eluned Morgan said it would be "difficult" for some pubs to keep to the two-metre social distancing rules.

Brains pubs in Barry include the Park Hotel, Park Crescent, the Tynewydd Inn, Tynewydd Road, the Master Mariner, Skomer Road, and the Cwm Talwg, Plas Cleddau.

A Brains spokeswoman said: “During lockdown we have been working incredibly hard to be ready to reopen our pubs indoors and outdoors safely for the benefit of our team members and customers.

“We are waiting to be given a date and guidelines for the full reopening of pubs from the Welsh Government, which we hope will be as soon as possible.

“We want our customers to be able to use all of the facilities in our pubs come rain or shine and to receive a warm welcome back in safe surroundings.

“We will not be able to do that by opening outdoors only from 13th July and so we will not open any of our managed pub gardens on that date.

“We really look forward to welcoming back our customers when we are given the green light to open fully.”

 

Vale of Glamorgan

Following recent incidents of antisocial and inappropriate behaviour and mass gatherings at Ogmore-by-Sea and Barry Island, the Vale of Glamorgan Council has taken steps to respond to such unacceptable behaviour.

The car park at Rivermouth, Ogmore-by-Sea, was closed last Thursday night and will remain closed until Monday 6 July 2020, whilst the Council takes steps to mitigate further issues.

A meeting with residents and the local community council was held on Tuesday 30 June to explain the steps the Council would be taking, in the short term, to deal with issues caused by antisocial behaviour such as littering, camping, inappropriate parking, overnight stays and noise.

Temporary road closures will remain in place with access for residents only on Seaview Drive.

Parking will be controlled on the main road through Ogmore-by-Sea (B4524)

The Council has been working to ensure Police as well as Council Staff are present this coming weekend to deal with any potential issues.

Further measures to control the consumption of alcohol in these destinations are also being organised where joint Police and Council Enforcement Officers will seize alcohol that is being carried and consumed in breach of existing regulations.

The Council is also seeking longer term solutions to better manage resort car parking at Ogmore-by-Sea, Barry Island, Cosmeston and Penarth Esplanade and the Council will engage with local communities in managing car parking in these locations.

Displacement parking in residential areas surrounding these destinations will also be addressed with provision for resident parking and short-stay spaces. This work will be progressed with close engagement with residents.

The Council will, in the coming weeks, be consulting residents, landowners, Vale Councillors and Community Councils to ensure that all concerns are addressed.

Speaking about the plans, the Leader of the Vale of Glamorgan Council, Cllr Neil Moore, said:

“We need to ensure that our coastal resorts and tourist destinations remain attractive and are equipped to offer a quality visitor experience, without having a detrimental impact on residents and communities.

"Our car parking infrastructure is being modernised and I have allocated money in this year’s budget to provide better parking management of surrounding residential areas where it is needed. We are seeking to address these issues as quickly as possible, given the significant increase in visitors to the Vale coast.


“Tourism plays a vital role in the Vale of Glamorgan’s economy and the Council is committed to supporting and further developing the local tourist and visitor experience whilst at the same time minimising impact on our residents who live and work in our coastal towns and villages.”

South Wales Police’s Chief Inspector for the Vale of Glamorgan, Anthony Williams, has also been meeting with local residents to provide reassurance about the work being undertaken by the force and its partners.

CI Williams said:

“We appreciate the Coronavirus lockdown measures have been difficult for our communities, but the kind of behaviour seen recently at Ogmore-by-Sea and other coastal areas is simply unacceptable.


“Mass gatherings are still prohibited under Welsh Government legislation, and I’d remind those considering attending our beauty spots to consider the risks they could be posing to themselves and their loved ones if they are not complying with legislation and guidance.


“Antisocial behaviour will not be tolerated at any time – regardless of whether we are in the midst of a pandemic or not – and we will continue to work closely with partners, including the local authority, to ensure those wanting to enjoy our beaches and parks within the confines of the law can do so safely and without fear or intimidation.


“Our communities can expect to see an increased police presence in some areas, and officers will make use of powers available to them, including dispersal orders, confiscation powers and enforcement action.


“We can’t be everywhere all of the time, however, and I would also appeal to people to take some personal responsibility and to be considerate of others. Parents should also be ensuring they know where their children are and what they are doing.”

 

Update on the expansion of Ysgol Sant Baruc
The Council’s Cabinet formally agreed the proposal to provide additional school places to meet the future demand for Welsh Medium education by expanding Ysgol Sant Baruc from 210 places to 420 places from September 2021 on 29 July 2019.

In order to accommodate the increased capacity, it was proposed and agreed that Ysgol Sant Baruc will relocate to a new school building constructed on the Barry Waterfront development.

The consortium of housing developers comprising Persimmon Homes, Taylor Wimpey and Barratt Homes are responsible for constructing the new school in accordance with the Section 106 Agreement.

The Section 106 agreement was reached in 2012 and required the consortium of developers to construct a school upon a circa. 1.5-hectare site, which they own on the Waterfront, and then transfer the site and the new school to the Council upon completion.

Due to the proposal to relocate and expand Ysgol Sant Baruc to a new 420 place primary school building on the Waterfront the Council needed to re-negotiate the agreement with the consortium of developers. These negotiations have been taking place over the last 12 months and the Council has now agreed the financial contributions and delivery programme. These negotiations have taken longer than originally anticipated.

Due to the delay in reaching this agreement with the Consortium, construction of the new school building will unfortunately not be completed for September 2021.

On 4 July 2020, the Council’s Managing Director approved a revised implementation date for the proposal to increase the capacity of Ysgol Sant Baruc from 210 places to 420 places.

The proposal will now be implemented from September 2022 in line with the construction of the new school building.

The Council has reviewed demand for Welsh medium primary school places and is satisfied that there is sufficient capacity to meet demand for the September 2021 intake.

 

Vale of Glamorgan Council and Art Central Friends launch Arts in Isolation Showcase

With the Country stuck indoors, creativity has flourished over the last few months and the aim of this initiative is to capture and celebrate that fact.


Open to those of all ages and experience levels, full details of how to enter can be found on the Council website. We are asking for one submission per person of a piece of art made during lockdown.


Participants can use any material and medium for their creation, meaning the finished piece may be visual, performance, written, a painting, drawing, song, sculpture, film, photograph or anything else in between.

Cllr Kathryn McCaffer, Vale of Glamorgan Council Cabinet Member for Leisure, Arts and Culture, said:

“The last few months have been a difficult time for everyone as the Country battles coronavirus. More time spent inside has conjured up a range of emotions, including frustration, isolation and many more beside.


“But this period has also provided an opportunity to express such feelings creatively and as a result, the arts have come into their own. This has enabled us to connect, communicate and entertain, highlighting people’s creative skills and hidden talents. These efforts help keep spirits up, combating issues related to health and wellbeing. Though we all have to keep our distance at the moment, by sharing our experiences through art we can bring communities together again.


“We want to share and showcase, creative things people have been doing during lockdown and share them in an online platform and I would encourage anyone interested to please submit something.”

 

RNLI lifeguards resume Whitmore Bay, Barry Island, patrols

RNLI volunteer lifeguards have resumed their full-time patrols in Whitmore Bay, Barry Island.

The lifeguards returned to the coast on Saturday, June 21, but they are still urging the public to respect the rules outlined by the Welsh Government and stay a safe distance from the lifeguards if popping over for a chat.

Lifeguard patrols on Barry beach suspended during coronavirus outbreak

RNLI in Wales issues 'Stop. Think. Stay Safe' message following lockdown changes

TV star entertains Barry visit

Lifeguard patrols on beaches in Wales - including Barry's Whitmore Bay – were suspended on March 30 as coronavirus swept the country.

It paused the service to ensure the lifeguards were adhering to government advice.

In a statement, at the time, it said: "Following the Government’s instruction as of 23 March for people to stay at home and avoid gathering outdoors, the RNLI has made the decision to pause the rollout of lifeguard patrols which were due to commence from April.”

 

Vale people urged to be aware of fraudsters exploiting coronavirus contact tracing system

Fraudsters have been reported as trying to use the current public health situation to their own benefit.

A South Wales Police spokesman said: “We’re urging people to be vigilant of scammers potentially trying to use the new Test, Trace, Protect system – introduced in Wales to help defeat the coronavirus – to defraud people.

The new system asks those who receive positive tests for covid-19 for details of whom they had been in contact within the previous fortnight.

This allows those people to self-isolate and slow the spread of the virus.

Welsh Government contact tracers will ask for information on names, dates of birth, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses.

The spokesman said: “You won’t be asked for financial information or bank account details, PINs or passwords, or any other personal information.

“Contact tracers also won’t ask you to dial a premium rate phone number, to make a payment, to purchase anything, to download software or give them control of your device, or to access any non-official website.

They will never visit your home.

Detective inspector Nick Bellamy, of South Wales Police’s economic crime unit, said: “Unfortunately, heartless criminals are trying to use the current public health situation to their own benefit.

“It’s reprehensible that anyone should attempt to exploit the situation for their own financial gain, at the expense of those who are seeking to do the right thing.

“Contact tracing has been put in place by the Welsh Government to control the spread of this disease, and as part of that scheme you may be contacted by someone to ask you to self-isolate.

“I want everyone to be aware of the possibility criminals will try to exploit this by calling people and demanding financial information.

“Genuine contact tracers will never ask for this, or for payments – so please be vigilant and don’t ignore any suspicions you may have.

“I’d also invite everyone to share this advice with loved ones so that together we can beat the fraudsters.”

“If you have any doubts then you should not provide the information.”

Report fraud via Action Fraud.

You can also call police on 101, or 999 in an emergency.

Details on the Welsh Government’s contact tracing system can be found via https://gov.wales/contact-tracing-your-questions

Coronavirus tests can be booked via the UK Government website https://self-referral.test-for-coronavirus.service.gov.uk/test-type

......Home......Latest News......About The Vale......What's On......Local Attractions......Contact Us......Business Index